I showed up to volunteer today at the school Book Fair. I feel like I wasted my time. Deep down, I know that volunteering at your child's school is NEVER really a waste of time. However, I am not the normal volunteer and the leaders today did not know me. I had a moment of wanting to leave today. Isn't that terrible? I have been a volunteer my entire adult life. I know, volunteering is not about how I feel. But, how we make people feel when they come into the school for the first time is important! What about the parent that did not have a positive school experience and showed up to help for the first time? What about the parent that does not have paid leave and they took time off to help?
Leaders, we have to think about this! We have to welcome EVERY volunteer that steps foot through that door. You do not know what obstacles they had to overcome before showing up to help. We have to make them feel welcomed and appreciated! In a world where people are overextended and tired, it matters how they feel when they leave. I challenge all of us leaders, ask yourself why you volunteer. I hope because you want to make a difference. Ask yourself, how did you get started and how did you become a leader? I would bet that it wasn't because you left a Book Fair feeling the way I did today. Be nice to your volunteers, you never how your encouragement and appreciation can inspire them. You do not influence the world by yourself. Your influence on others can broaden your reach when you mentor future leaders. Do not take this lightly. You have the ability to change your part of the world. How big your part of the world is, that is up to you!
No comments:
Post a Comment